The idea behind this course is to discover the beauty of mixing color and all the magic it holds.
With a limited palette of 4 colors, the 3 primaries and a neutral, together we create over 300 different color variations.
As an artist this will be life changing. It opens up many more possibilities for your art that you ever thought possible. And all of it is done with just 4 colors which is amazing.
Cultivate - to refine, improve, encourage further
Cultivated Color is an 8 week watercolor course that:
- defines terms such as hue, value, shade, tint and neutral
- explores each color individually giving you time to understand it
- plays so you can mix and match easily within a color family
- studies value and its importance
- offers techniques like layering, wet-on-wet, wet-on-dry, resist and so much more
- practices brush control
- shows you how to get the best application with watercolor
Each module offers a color study that:
- showcases one specific color (yellow, red, etc.)
- steps out the hue into a 10 color value scale
- experiments with mixing primary and secondary colors
- creates shade values with a neutral, complementary and mother color
- plays with a technique such as layering, wet-on-wet, resist, etc.
- practices color swatching within an image or magazine pieces
Limited supplies for the course:
- 4 daniel smith watercolors
- a sketchbook, watercolor palette, watercolor brushes
- pencil, palette knife, paper towel, ruler
- Pre-recorded videos with content for 8 weeks (color wheel, yellow, red, blue, orange, violet, green, palette play).
- Videos each week will be 1-2 hours. Over 17+ hours total.
- Instant access to all the Supply videos and PDFs is available at sign up.
Instant Access when you register. Regular price is $124.
Your watercolor courses provide a massive amount of valuable information
that they will not find in other courses!
- Maria G
You continue to draw me into the process, thank you for being so careful and detailed.
- Sharon B
Wow! Did I ever learn a lot! This has been an amazing experience.
- Zavie B.
Meet the Teach
About Kelly Hoernig
I have been an artist my entire life. It started with that wondrous box of crayons, art school and today it is still challenging me to grow, discover and explore anything that fascinates my creative side. I have been an artist full time for the past 25 years and it has been a wonderful journey so far. I cannot wait to see what the muse throws my way next.
Some things you might not know about me.
I have a very curious nature. Work best by moonlight. Create because I have to. Am inspired by the details. Chase the muse everywhere. Excited by nature. Love a challenge.